Pay a Fine

National Fine Recovery Program

image of Recovery process

The Public Prosecution Service of Canada (PPSC) is responsible for administering the recovery of outstanding federal fines under the terms of an assignment issued by the Attorney General of Canada in September 2007.

The National Fine Recovery Program's (NFRP) mandate is to recover all unpaid federal fines and related surcharges that have been imposed by a criminal court. If necessary, the NFRP undertakes legal proceedings on behalf of the Crown to enforce the collection of outstanding federal fines.

The NFRP has partnered with other government departments and private collection agencies to undertake the recovery of unpaid fines. Fines progress through a rigorous recovery process up to formal legal proceedings for individuals who refuse to pay their fines.


You have an outstanding fine? Pay it here:

Please review our privacy notice before paying your fine online.

Privacy Notice

The Public Prosecution Service of Canada (PPSC) is collecting and using your personal information to enforce payment of outstanding federal fines ordered by Canadian courts. The PPSC is responsible for enforcement under the terms of an assignment issued by the Attorney General of Canada in 2007.

The PPSC will retain this information for the time identified in the National Fine Recovery Program personal information bank (PPSC PPU 001). This information may only be shared with other organizations in accordance with subsection 8(2) of the Privacy Act. At the PPSC, it will be available to only those employees who require it for tracking payments made for outstanding fines. The PPSC will not use or disclose your information for any purpose other than the administration of the program. These uses and disclosures are listed in the personal information bank.

Under the Privacy Act, you have the right to request access to your personal information at the PPSC or to request corrections, should you believe there are errors or omissions. To make a request, or for further information on how the PPSC protects your personal information, you may contact the PPSC ATIP Office.

For further information on fine recovery, you may contact the National Fine Recovery Program at

Paying a fine online

Your personal information will be collected via an online form managed by the PPSC. Upon completing the form, you will be redirected to a secure and trusted third-party website (Moneris Solutions) where your fine payment will be processed. The platform will collect payment information: name, credit card number, expiry date, and card security code (CVV).

Security Warning: If you are using this service on a shared computer in a public area (for example, a public kiosk or library), do not leave the computer unattended while doing so. Before leaving the computer, you should clear your browser's cache and close down your browser. These precautions will ensure that no one else can access any personal information you may have entered.

Collection agencies

Collection agencies are collecting, using, and retaining your personal information on behalf of the PPSC to enforce payment of outstanding fines. They will manage the information related to your fine recovery file for the duration of the standing offer to provide the PPSC with services, or sooner if instructed by the PPSC.

They primarily collect this information directly from the PPSC. Sometimes, they may need to request and obtain additional information from credit bureaus in order to update their files. At the end of their contractual agreement with the PPSC, they will return all personal data remaining under our control to the PPSC and keep no copies.

This information will also be available to the PPSC for review and administrative action when necessary.


Mastercard and Visa logo

Frequently Asked Questions

Is the NFRP program a scam? I have never heard of it before.

The National Fine Recovery Program (NFRP) is not a scam. We are a program within the Public Prosecution Service of Canada and we are responsible for administering the recovery of outstanding federal fines, under the terms of an assignment issued by the Attorney General of Canada on September 2007. Our mandate is to recover all unpaid federal fines, regardless of the outstanding amount or the age of the fine.

How can I pay my fine?
  1. Online credit card payments (Visa or MasterCard), by clicking the Pay a Fine button on this page. For fines ordered in the province of Québec, online payments can also be made through the Bureau des infractions et amendes at
  2. In person at the nearest courthouse in your region (please note that in Manitoba, New Brunswick, and Saskatchewan, the fine must be paid at the courthouse where the sentencing took place). Please make sure to have your court file number on hand, to ensure the payment is applied to the correct file.
  3. By post-dated cheque, money order or bank draft. Payments must be made out based on the information below and mailed to the address indicated under “Contact us” on this page. Please ensure to clearly indicate the court file number on all payments.
    Province Payments must be made payable to
    AlbertaGovernment of Alberta
    British ColumbiaMinister of Finance
    ManitobaMinister of Finance
    Maritimes (NB, NL, NS, and PEI)Provincial Court
    OntarioMinister of Finance
    QuébecMinistre des Finances
    SaskatchewanProvincial Court of Saskatchewan
What are the top 10 federal statutes that the National Fine Recovery Program (NFRP) processes federal fine payments for?

Top 10 federal statutes:

  1. Criminal Code
  2. Controlled Drugs and Substances Act
  3. Cannabis Act
  4. Fisheries Act
  5. Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
  6. Quarantine Act
  7. Employment Insurance Act
  8. Customs Act
  9. Income Tax Act
  10. Excise Act, 2001
I need my court file number to pay my fine, but I don’t remember it/can’t find it. What do I do?

Please contact the National Fine Recovery Program at to request the court file number that corresponds to your federal fine. Please include your full name, date of birth, and any other information you have related to the fine (province where the fine was ordered, fine amount, etc.) to assist our officers in pulling up the correct file in our system.

Why will the NFRP no longer accept my cheques?

If you have been notified by the NFRP that we can no longer accept personal cheques toward payment of your fine, it is because we have received two previous non-sufficient funds (NSF) cheques and the courthouse will not process any more personal cheques toward payment of the fine. Please see above for alternate payment methods.

What if I cannot afford to pay my fine in full?

Please reach out to our team by email at or toll-free at 1-855-861-0133 to discuss payment plan options.

My fine has already been paid. Why do I still owe you money?

When you make a payment directly at a provincial courthouse, or provide the NFRP with a cheque, money order, or bank draft, there is a payment processing delay before the information is updated and reflected in our system. For in-person, cheque, money order, or bank draft payments, please allow 10 business days before following up with our team to confirm the updated status of your file.

Alternatively, you may have paid one fine in full, but have other outstanding federal fines registered in a provincial court registry. Please contact us via email at to request information about your outstanding fine.

Is there a statute of limitations on my federal fine?

No. Canadian law does not prescribe a limitation period for recovery/enforcement of federal fines. The National Fine Recovery Program administers recovery of all outstanding federal fines, regardless of the age of the fine.

Does declaration of bankruptcy release me from the amount owed under my federal fine?

No. While bankruptcy relieves many kinds of debt, as per the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act, any fine imposed by a court in respect of an offence is not dischargeable by bankruptcy.

Can I give permission to someone else to negotiate with the NFRP on my behalf?

If you decide to appeal to a third-party for assistance (ex: family member or lawyer) to negotiate payment of your outstanding fine with the NFRP, we will require you to confirm your identify and provide written confirmation, such as a power of attorney document or letter of authorization signed by you, indicating that you wish to have someone else speak to us on your behalf. Please contact us by email at or toll-free at 1-855-861-0133 to discuss this with one of our recovery officers or paralegals.

Why is the letter I received regarding my fine sent by the Canada Revenue Agency?

The National Fine Recovery Program (NFRP) has an official arrangement with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for use of the CRA’s Refund Set-off (RSO) program, under which tax refunds and eligible credits payable to individuals can be applied against debts these individuals owe to the Crown. The letter you have received is to notify you that we (the NFRP) have registered an outstanding fine with the CRA, which may result in your tax refunds or certain tax credits being redirected to us for payment of the fine.

Why does the letter from the CRA not contain any information regarding my fine?

The purpose of the letter from the CRA is simply to inform you that our program has registered an outstanding debt owed to the Crown with their Refund Set-off (RSO) program, which may result in your tax refunds and certain tax credits being applied against the amount owed. Detailed information about the outstanding fine can be obtained by contacting our Program ( or 1-855-861-0133), or a criminal court in the province where the fine was ordered.

Why have I received a letter from the Department of Fisheries and Oceans about suspension of my fishing licence?

The National Fine Recovery Program (NFRP) has an official partnership with the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) for the recovery of outstanding fines for offences under laws and regulations administered by DFO (ex: Fisheries Act). Failure to pay a DFO-related fine can result in the refusal to issue a new fishing licence, or the suspension or cancellation of an existing licence. Please see above for alternate payment methods and make sure to inform us at when the fine is paid, so we can update your file and notify DFO of payment.

I received a letter from a collection agency claiming to work on behalf of your program. How do I confirm they are really working with you and this is not a scam call/letter?

The National Fine Recovery Program (NFRP) works with private collection agencies to assist with the recovery of unpaid fines. These are authorized agents acting on behalf of our program and it is standard practice for them to reach out to individuals through notification letters and by phone (text messaging or direct phone calls). Please see below for a full list of our private and federal partners.

I received a text message about an unpaid fine, asking me to click a link to a Government of Canada website for more information. Is this from the NFRP? Is it safe to click the link?

The National Fine Recovery Program does not communicate directly with individuals via text messages. Do not click any links provided via text messages seeking payment for an unpaid fine. Our private collection agencies may reach out to individuals via text messages, but messages approved by the NFRP never include a direct link to visit a website for more information. Approved messages from our collection agencies always contain the full name of the individual they are trying to reach and a phone number to call back. A list of all our private and federal collection partners can be found below.

If you receive a text message regarding an unpaid fine and are unsure if it is from a legitimate source, please reach out to the NFRP at Do not click any hyperlinks or provide financial information to anyone reaching out via an unverified text message.

I was informed that my fine has been assigned to your Legal Division. What does this mean?

Should you not pay your fine, procedures can be initiated against you for the recovery of the fine by virtue of section 734 of the Criminal Code and, if necessary, a Warrant of committal pursuant to section 734.7 of the Criminal Code can be sought.

When a company amalgamates with another organization, does that liberate them from their outstanding fine?

No, it does not liberate them from their outstanding fine. The new organization after the merger is liable for any debts, liabilities and other obligations.

Contact us:

Toll-free: 1-855-861-0133


Mail: National Fine Recovery Program
Complexe Guy-Favreau
200, Blvd. René-Lévesque West – East Tower, 9th floor
Montreal (Quebec) H2Z 1X4

Federal Partners

logo of Canada

Private Partner

Date modified: